THE PATRIOT

Further proof of Sweet William's cult hero status is the existence of:

TAVINGTON FANFICTION SITE

TAVINGTON FANFIC GROUP

While some of the material above is definitely ADULT, our OWN contributions don't venture into such territory: Whistle-World is a family-friendly universe (as in ADDAMS-family), where clothes only get ripped off in battlefield surgical emergencies. Trust me, I'm a doctor...

THE LOYAL DAUGHTER
by Doc M
(15/R for violence & 18C military surgery)

A Loyal American counter-narrative to the film. Ben Martin's illegitimate daughter Augusta - a quadroon - welcomes the destruction of the plantation and finds herself a new family in the Green Dragoons. She is adopted by the regimental surgeon, and forms a strong bond with the dashing Lieut. Col. Will Tavington. But will her father's thirst for vengeance destroy them both before they can admit their feelings?

The Loyal Daughter

The Loyal Daughter frontispiece

THE COLOUR OF A MAN'S COAT,
or, How Green Was My Dragoon?
(Another edition is on Fanfiction.net)
by
Doc M (12/PG-13)

The Colour of A Man's Coat

- a sly comedy which provides a happier ending and resolves the mystery of why the Green Dragoons in the film weren't Green.
Will Tavington regains consciousness after being wounded at Cowpens. He thinks he recognises the people around him... But why does Benjamin Martin cluck like a chicken?

PANDORA DOC M's DVD BOX
by
Doc M (12/PG-13)

- a cartoon strip, in which the author gets more than she bargained for when the DVD arrives on Hallowe'en 2000...

As Max observed, pace Emily Dickinson:
Hope isn't just a thing with feathers, it also has fur and a scalp-wrenching queue...

THE ST. CUSTARD'S DAY MASSACRE
by Howard, Doc, Holley, Nikki & Max (12/PG-13)

- a crazy romp in which the Whistle-World gang wreaks a fiendish revenge on Ben Martin involving chicken feathers and a lethal gumbo...

We could always re-edit The Patriot for UK and Canadian release: THE LOYALIST, in which Ben Martin becomes a Dave Fanning-type Loyal American avenger after a Ben Cleveland-inspired character (played by Jabba the Hutt) fatally squashes his children by sitting on them!!! He then has to go after 'Moby' Cleveland with harpoon and flensing knife...

We're also concocting our own subversions of the ending... Max suggests the following delightful hybridisation with Tim Burton's enchanting Sleepy Hollow for the climatic duel:

A friend in need...

Just as Mel has seized his instrument of vengeance and warped his features into the obligatory mix of manly grief and manlier rage, we hear hoofbeats; heavy, heavy hoofbeats...
Christopher Walken, clad in black armor, his teeth filed into fangs, gallops up on his black Andalusian and lops off Mel's head, dropping it neatly into his pouch as he and Jason Isaacs exchange courteous nods.
The next scene: Walken, Isaacs and Tom Wilkinson drink Bruderschaft, sing Ein Trau Husar and argue amiably over who gets the title role in John André's upcoming production of Nathan der Wiese.

This I LIKE...!!!

I'd also have liked the Martin brood to be more Southern Gothic (like their borderline(?) psychotic father...). A kind of Carolina branch of the Addamses by way of Tennessee Williams and Deliverance. Mind, given the enthusiasm one of the little monsters had for sniping at redcoats ("I'm glad we did it"), he might yet develop into a juvenile terrorist. The temporarily mute Susan was pretty spooky, and struck me as the one you'd expect to slip arsenic in the teapot when the maid wasn't looking... A potential Wednesday.  

Return to Top

Back to Whistle-World Home HQ